Trauma is a common experience that can affect individuals in many different ways. While there are many treatments available for trauma, it is important to approach healing in a holistic way. This means taking into account all aspects of the individual’s life, including physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health.
In this blog post, we will explore some of the different approaches to trauma healing and discuss how they can work together to create a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Used to train one’s brain to move away from brainwave patterns associated with trauma to brain wave patterns associated with a state of balance and well-being.
- It helps lessen, if not eliminate, the often repetitive negative thoughts associated with trauma and PTSD by helping the overactive brain to calm down and by reversing stress-induced hyperactive responses.
- Research has demonstrated that CBT is one effective approach to treating trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- The goal of the therapy is to help one learn how to change automatic negative thoughts/beliefs and behaviors (that may contribute to, or worsen emotional difficulties) with more positive and constructive beliefs, thoughts and behaviors. The more constructive and positive one’s thinking and actions, the better one feels.
- Traumatic memories/feelings are often stored in one’s body.
- Research has shown that yoga can help gently release one’s stored negative memories and feelings, allowing the body to move towards and maintain a state of balance.
- Some specific yogic modalities that help restore balance to the body include the use of Asanas (postures), Pranayama (breath control) and Pratyahara (sense withdrawal -deep relaxation).
Other modalities that can be beneficial in treating trauma may include:
- Dance therapy
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Somatic touch and
- Writing therapy
If one suffers from trauma, one will want an approach that incorporates a number of different approaches that helps one restore balance within the body and mind.
Each approach has its own benefits and can help the individual heal in their own way. It is important to find an approach or combination of approaches that will work best for you.